Ricoh Announces GR Digital III Camera
Ricoh today announced the development and release of the GR DIGITAL III camera. Successor model to the GR DIGITAL II, it achieves a whole new level of image quality.
Ricoh GR Digital III
Representing the further evolution of concepts introduced with the GR DIGITAL model (October 2005), the GR DIGITAL II (November 2007) achieved superb image quality by packing superior resolution, low noise, and low color aberration performance into a thin, compact body. In the 20 months since its release, it has been very popular with a wide range of customers, especially professional photographers and experienced amateurs.
The new GR DIGITAL III takes the GR line's traditional high image quality to an even higher level with a new image processing engine, a new CCD, and the newly developed 28 mm/F1.9 GR Lens. Performance has also been enhanced in areas such as quick shooting, operability, and power of expression.
In order to fully respond to the needs of our customers, for the GR DIGITAL III Ricoh will continue to offer the customization services (fine tuning of shutter release button sensitivity, AE/AWB, etc.) that we have provided since the introduction of the GR DIGITAL.
Main Features Of The GR Digital III
- Newly developed large-aperture lens.
- The adoption of the new F1.9, f-6.0 mm (equivalent to 28 mm for 35 mm film cameras) lens for the GR DIGITAL III takes compact-body cameras into a new realm of images. This lens makes it possible to shoot with a faster shutter speed than could be used on previous models, or to shoot with the same shutter speed but at a lower setting for ISO sensitivity.
- Despite the large F1.9 aperture, the new lens achieves a resolution level equivalent to that of the F2.4 GR Lens.
- The use of a newly developed lens drive system has made it possible to achieve greater image quality in macro photography.
- Taking the GR DIGITAL concepts another step forward, the GR DIGITAL III achieves even greater image quality.
- The new image processing engine GR Engine III is installed. Using newly developed noise reduction technology, it enables highly sophisticated noise processing to be done while maintaining superior resolution, tone characteristics, and saturation.
- The new high-sensitivity CCD (1/1.7 inch, approx. 10 megapixels) achieves high-sensitivity properties through the use of a new process. The combination of the newly developed GR Lens and GR Engine III significantly increases shooting performance in low-light scenes.
- Even faster shooting capabilities for capturing fleeting shutter opportunities.
- Algorithm improvements have reduced focusing time in low-light scenes. With the Pre-AF function, focusing speed is further accelerated by adjusting the focus to match the movement of the subject.
- The new "full-press snap" function shoots at a preset distance for a one-push full-press of the shutter button.
- Up to five RAW images can be recorded in consecutive shooting* and bracketing.
* When noise reduction is OFF. When it is Weak or Strong, the maximum is four images.
- Enhanced expression capabilities make good use of GR Lens performance.
- Shutter speed priority AE is now available in addition to aperture priority AE.
- A more extensive range of image settings enables the photographer to control hue and saturation. This makes it easy to create images with a wide variety of coloration.
- When photographing subjects with mixed color temperatures, the multi-pattern auto white balance function makes it possible to achieve optimum color reproduction.
- Large, high-visibility 3.0-inch VGA LCD monitor.
- The 3.0-inch, 920,000-dot VGA LCD monitor provides high resolution, a wide viewing angle, excellent color reproduction, good visibility outdoors, and a surface that resists soiling. The sRGB comparison for color reproduction range is 100%.
- The micro-thumbnail display function displays 81 thumbnail images on a single screen.
- Operability further enhanced.
- The My Settings on the mode dial have been expanded to three sets. The number of Fn (function) buttons on the back of the camera body has been expanded to two.
- A function has been added for assigning names to My Settings sets and storing and retrieving them. A maximum of six sets can be defined and stored.
- Expandability further enhanced with addition of new options.
- The 21 mm wide conversion lens GW-2 and hood and adapter GH-2 will be sold.
- The available soft cases are the GC-3 for the body only and the GC-4 quick-shooting case type compatible with the GV-2 viewfinder.
- There are also plans to introduce the GF-1 external flash, which can handle TTL flash using auxiliary flash, in the autumn of 2009.
- Function to be expanded using firmware.
- Even after the GR DIGITAL III is introduced, we will continue to add new functions through the release of new firmware. By updating their firmware, GR DIGITAL III owners can continue to utilize the latest functions.
The new GR DIGITAL III takes the GR line's traditional high image quality to an even higher level with a new image processing engine, a new CCD, and the newly developed 28 mm/F1.9 GR Lens.
GR Digital III Option Table
|Hood and adapter||GH-2 *1|
|Wide conversion lens *2||GW-2 *1|
|External TTL flash||GF-1 *3|
|External mini viewfinder||GV-2|
|Soft case||GC-3 *1|
|Soft case (GV-2 compatible)||GC-4 *1|
|Neck strap (GR DIGITAL logo)||GS-1|
|Neck strap (Ricoh logo)||ST-2|
|Rechargeable battery||DB-65 *1|
GR DIGITAL/GR DIGITAL II options GH-1, GW-1, GT-1, GC-1, and GC-2 cannot be used.
*1 Newly introduced option.
*2 Hood and adapter GH-2 is required when using wide conversion lens GW-2.
*3 This option is to go on sale in autumn 2009.
- May 7, 2010
Ricoh Announces Ricoh Lens P10 28-300 MM F3.5-5.6 VCRicoh today announced the development and release of the new GXR camera unit RICOH LENS P10 28-300 mm F3. Also included are a 1280 x 720 pixel HD movie function, the dynamic range double shot mode function, a macro function capable of close-up shooting at 1 cm, and many other enhanced functions for diverse and effortless enjoyment of shooting from 28 mm wide-angle to 300 mm telephoto...
- Feb 23, 2010
Ricoh Announces The Development Of Two New Units For The GXR Interchangeable Unit Camera SystemRicoh today announced the development of two new camera units for the GXR interchangeable unit camera system introduced on December 18, 2009. The GXR is a revolutionary new interchangeable unit camera system in which lenses can be changed by mounting camera units that integrate lens, image sensor, and image processing engine into a single unit...
- Feb 3, 2010
New Compact Ultra Zoom Camera From Ricoh: The CX3Ricoh today announced the release of the CX3, a new digital camera featuring a high magnification 10. The 13 scene modes includes two popular modes introduced on the CX2: "miniaturize mode" makes it possible to shoot actual scenes but record images that recreate the impression given when photographing miniatures; "high-contrast B&W mode" makes it possible to record images with a grainy feel such as that created by using ultra-high-sensitivity film in a film camera or by push processing film at the development stage...
- Dec 21, 2009
In Collaboration With US Fashion Brand Stussy Ricoh Launches GR Digital III Stussy CameraRicoh today announced the release of GR DIGITAL III x STUSSY, a collaboration model with US fashion brand manufacturer STUSSY Incorporated (headquarters: Irvine, California, the United States) which features special coloring. The GR DIGITAL III x STUSSY retains the performance of the GR DIGITAL III, which introduced superior image quality, and changes the color of essential parts such as the ring cap and shutter button, the area around the mode dial, etc...
- Nov 10, 2009
Ricoh GXR The Smallest And Ligtest Interchangeable Lens Camera AnnouncedRicoh today announced the development and release of the GXR interchangeable unit camera system featuring the world's smallest and lightest* digital camera with the ability to change lenses. By integrating lens, image sensor, and image processing engine into a single optimized unit, we were able to created a compact camera with interchangeable lenses...