Pentax Releases K-5 Digital SLR For Advanced Amateur Photographers
PENTAX Imaging Systems has announced the PENTAX K-5 digital SLR camera. The K-5 DSLR offers a true high-end prosumer design and features normally found only on the most costly of professional cameras. With exceptional reliability, user-friendly operation, and the compact, lightweight body of its predecessor, the PENTAX K-7, the new K-5 offers several important and improved features.
The pro-oriented “prosumer” features that take this latest PENTAX DSLR to the next level include:
- High resolution 16.3 megapixel CMOS sensor.
- Fast up to 7 FPS to capture fast action shots.
- High sensitivity 80-12800 ISO range, expandable to 51200, with improved noise performance overall.
- Widescreen 1080p HD video at 25 FPS with sound via built-in microphone or external 3.5mm stereo microphone jack.
- Newly improved, highly responsive and accurate 11 point SAFOX IX+ autofocus system with dedicated AF assist lamp and light wavelength sensor.
- Focus and shutter speed priority during AF-C.
- Native support for both PENTAX PEF and Adobe DNG 14 bit RAW files.
- Improved in-camera HDR image capture with more blending modes and better image alignment for handheld HDR shots.
- SDXC memory card compatibility (via firmware update).
Additional important features on the new PENTAX K-5 digital SLR include:
- A fully weather sealed and coldproof design.
- A large 3 inch LCD with 921,000 dots of resolution.
- Durable magnesium alloy that surrounds a rugged stainless steel chassis.
- Highly accurate 77 segment metering system.
- Pentaprism viewfinder with 100% field of view and 0.92X magnification.
- PENTAX body-based Shake Reduction (SR) stabilization system that works with every PENTAX lens ever made.
- A maximum 1/8000 second shutter speed.
- HDMI port outputs high definition images and video (and sound).
- A wide range of in-camera image processing and special effects filters.
- Customizable RAW/Fx button.
- Built-in electronic level with tilt scale display in LCD panel.
PENTAX Imaging also announced the smc PENTAX-DA18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR lens designed exclusively for use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras.
These improvements and features are a direct result of customer feedback provided to PENTAX by dedicated “prosumer” Pentaxian shooters who have helped refine the K-5 to deliver a wide feature set and make it a perfect all-purpose camera for field or studio use. The K-5 is an excellent choice for advanced enthusiasts looking for a compact, yet highly advanced camera without spending thousands of dollars more. The PENTAX K-5 digital SLR will ship in October 2010 as a body kit only for $1,599.95 USD or as a lens kit with the 18-55mm WR for $1,749.95 USD.
PENTAX Imaging also announced the smc PENTAX-DA18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR lens designed exclusively for use with PENTAX digital SLR cameras. This interchangeable zoom lens features a simplified weather-resistant construction and extra-smooth autofocus operation using a built-in motor, in addition to its high 7.5X zoom ratio. This new lens will ship in October for $529.95 USD.
- Sep 12, 2011
Pentax Announces Optio RZ18 With 18X ZoomPENTAX announced the Optio RZ18 digital compact camera. With 16 effective megapixels, a high-performance smc PENTAX zoom lens and the advanced image processing system — a system that uses the latest super-resolution technology to optimize image quality through meticulous section-by-section treatment of the captured image — the Optio RZ18 delivers well-defined, high-quality images with extra-fine resolution...
- Jun 30, 2011
Pentax Imaging Systems Business Acquired by RicohHOYA Corporation (“HOYA”) and Ricoh Company, Ltd. (“Ricoh”) hereby announce that pursuant to decisions by the President and CEO of HOYA and Representative Director of Ricoh, respectively, HOYA and Ricoh have executed an agreement as of today to transfer HOYA’s PENTAX Imaging Systems Business (the business of developing, manufacturing and selling optical instruments such as digital cameras and replacement lenses, digital camera accessories, security camera-related products, and binoculars) (the “PENTAX Imaging Systems Business”) to Ricoh...
- Jun 22, 2011
Pentax Adds Four New Lenses To Q SystemIn addition to the standard lens announced today, PENTAX has announced four accessory Q-mount lenses designed for exclusive use with the PENTAX Q – the world’s smallest, lightest interchangeable lens system camera (ILC). The PENTAX 04 Toy Lens Wide price is $79.95 USD and the PENTAX 05 Toy Lens Telephoto is $79.95 USD...
- Jun 22, 2011
Pentax Reveals The Pentax QPENTAX has announced the PENTAX Q – the world’s smallest and lightest interchangeable lens camera (ILC). The PENTAX Q features a backlit, 12.4 megapixel, 1/2.3 inch CMOS image sensor for beautiful, high-resolution images, with highly efficient light gathering optical construction that assures excellent high sensitivity and low noise characteristics and a high speed readout of image data signals...
- Jun 1, 2011
Pentax Launches O-GPS1 Unit For Digital SLR CamerasPENTAX announced the PENTAX O-GPS1 unit designed for recent PENTAX digital SLR cameras. Users may locate destinations using location data stored on recorded images or register/assign destinations by uploading location data created on a personal computing device.*..